A child or young person has a special educational need if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for them. A child of compulsory school age or a young person is considered to have a learning difficulty or disability if he or she:

    • ‘has a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age; or
    • has a disability which prevents or hinders them from making use of educational facilities of a kind generally provided for students of the same age in mainstream schools or mainstream post-16 institutions.’ (Code of Practice, 2015)

    The types of SEN/D we provide for are:

    • Communication and Interaction needs (C&I) including Autistic Spectrum Condition, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and Attention Deficit Disorder.
    • Cognition and Learning needs (C&L) including Specific Learning Difficulties such as Dyslexia, Dysgraphia and Dyscalculla.
    • Social, Emotional and Mental Health needs (SEMH) such as anxiety and depression.